Monday, July 20, 2009

Myrtle Beach, SC : Dino's House of Pancakes

I grew up in Greenville, SC, and we went to Myrtle Beach at least once a Summer. I've been in Orlando, FL for a LONG time now, but the Greenville Parhams still make the four hour trek to MB. My Florida branch has been up there twice recently, once last week and once two years ago.
There's a TON of great places to eat in Myrtle and the surrounding areas.

Fish places and pancake places are everywhere. This is probably my fave breakfast place so far.. Dino's House of Pancakes.
Check out the cool old sign.
Not retro... just old. And cool as can be. The interior has remained unchanged since probably the 60s, as well. It's the kind of place where the waitresses call you "honey" and "sweetie". Oh, and if you want tea WITHOUT sugar in it, you better tell 'em. Otherwise, it's thick, South Carolina specialty "SWEET TEA". Man, it's gotta be a lot of calories. But man, is it good. I am a Southern boy at heart.

Anyway, the food here is all good, and the omelettes here are amazing. My oldest daughter tells me the pancakes are great, too. And I don't know what it is about MB, but everywhere I went, the bacon was incredible. REAL bacon, thick and greasy like it should be. Like all restaurants in SC, there is smoking allowed, so that can be a little disconcerting for those of us from states where indoor smoking is frowned upon (any smoking really). But in a weird way, in a place like Dino's, it adds to the ambience. It's just like so many places I remember as a kid.

Dino's is right on HWY 17, technically in North Myrtle ( although all these little towns run together so much you can't tell where one ends and the other begins). If you're in the neighborhood, stop in, why dontcha?

No comments: